Macau Fast Facts

General Info, Weather and Visa Information

Macau is quite an obscure place when you consider its colouful history; present positioning as a Special Administrative 'Region' of China and role as the gateway between the east and the west. Our fast facts provide the all important information on currency, climate and culture, guiding you with what we believe to be the fundamental basics of visiting any foreign land.

Taking influence from both the Orient and Mediterranean, discovering the unique and atmospheric world of Macau is part of the islands inherent charm.


Area:
29.2 sq.km.
Capital City:
None, as Macau is a Special Administrative 'Region' of China.
Population:
551,900 (94 % are ethnic Chinese, the remaining 6% includes Portuguese and other ethnic groups)
Language:
Chinese (Cantonese) and Portuguese are the two official languages.
Religion:
79.3% of the population is Buddhist, 7% are Christian, and 13.7% are other religious minorities.
Climate:
A monsoon region, with rainy season from May-September. The dry season is from November-April.
Local Time:
GMT +8
Currency:
Macanese Pataca (MOP) Coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 Patacas. Banknotes: 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1000 Patacas
Exchange:
Banks, licensed offices, and hotels. Credit cards/travellers' cheques are widely accepted. Cash Hong Kong dollars (HK$) universally accepted.
Business Hours:
Office hours: 09:00 – 17:00 Monday to Friday.
Tipping:
Although most of the restaurants already charge 10% for the service fee, it does not go directly to the frontline staff. Waiters and waitresses expect around 10% of the bill total as a tip. Taxi drivers, bellboys, porters and toilet attendants will also expect a small tip.
Nightlife:
Nightlife Apart from casinos in Macau Peninsula and on Taipa Island, there are also nightclubs and trendy bars open every night, some until 06:00.
Electricity supply:
220V, 50 Hz
Tourist Information:
MACAU GOVERNMENT TOURIST OFFICE
Address: Alameda Dr. Carlos d'Assumpção, nos 335-341, Edificio Hot Line, 12º andar, Macau, Tel: (853) 2831 5566 Fax: (853) 2851 0104 Tourist Hotline: (853) 2833 3000.
 

Visa Information

All visitors must hold a passport valid not less than 30 days from the day you enter Macau.

Macau tour operators will handle the visa processing for travel arrangements that are made through a travel agency. For many passport holders who are staying under 30 days, visas are generally not required. However, visas are expected by all visitors except:

- a) National of Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Croatia, Czech, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Tanzania and the United Kingdom(6 months) for a stay up to 90 days.

- b) National of Australia, Canada, Chile, India, Indonesia, Kiribati, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Monaco, Namibia, New Zealand, Philippines, Samoa, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, the United States of America and Uruguay for a stay up to 30 days.

- c) Hong Kong residents can stay in Macau for a maximum period of one year. For short-term visits, the Immigration Service at Macau also offers visas for a period of 30 days for visitors upon their arrival.  

Weather Information

The climate is moderate to hot, with the mean variation between 16°C (50°F) and 25°C (77°F) throughout the year

The winter in Macau starts from January and lasts until March. The weather is a bit chilly but still quite sunny. The winds from the north carry cool and refreshing air into the region. The rainfall during this period is minimal due to the lack of water vapour in the atmosphere.

In April, the humidity begins to increase and temperatures rise. The winds in the additional moisture and temperature increase the occurrence of rainfall as well. From May to September, the area experiences some shaky weather in the form of tropical storms. Even though these are usually mild, nature is always unpredictable. However, susmmer in Macau is most enjoyable as it features a delightfully cool sea breeze.

The best time to visit Macau is between October and December or during the autumn months.

Hotels in Macau
Loading...

FIND THE BEST PRICE
IN Loading...  
CHECK IN:
CHECK OUT:
FOR :
GET PRICES FROM
Loading...

Send us your feedback

Help us keep this website up-to-date by sending us your comments and suggestions. If your question is about a hotel please use this link - For TOUR questions and enquiries please use this link


Find the Best Price
City:
Check in:
Check out:
in: Loading...
Loading...
Check prices from these websites.
Check prices from these websites.
Macau Information
Find the Best Price
Check in
Check out
in Loading...
Loading...