Casa Garden is now a home of the head office of the Orient Foundation, an organization to promote Portuguese culture worldwide. Situated on Praca de Luis de Camoes, the park once was the villa of the merchant Manuel Pereira. It was also the residence for the director of the English East India Company in Macau and high-ranking English Officers who were based in China.
Later, the park was taken over by the Portuguese and converted into a museum in the 1960s. The main mansion in the middle of the park was built in the 18th century. It has arched windows and shutters and its main hall is decorated in Southern European style. There is also an art gallery within the park which opens from 10:00 until 17:30, on Monday to Friday.
Church of St. Anthony
The Church of St Anthony is the oldest one in Macau. It was built between 1558 and 1608. The church's façade contrasts strikingly with the rich and warm neo-classic interior. The church endured serious fires three times in its history and the present architecture is from the last remodeling in 1930.
The Church of St Anthony was once a popular place where many Portuguese locals would hold a wedding, hence, it also is known as the Church of Flowers (or 'Fa Vong Tong' in Cantonese). This stone church is situated opposite the Casa Garden, and opens daily from 07:30 until 17:30. If you are interested in attending mass, note that the Sunday service is still held in Portuguese.
Guia Hill, Fortress and Lighthouse
Guia Fort and Lighthouse overlooks Macau from the summit of Guia Hill. The fort was built in 1865 and was the chief observation post during colonial times, designed to defend the city. It is well preserved and contains barracks, a water cistern, an ammunition cache, a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Guia as well as Read More...
Lin Fung Temple
Lin Fung Temple is one of the most visited temples in Macau. The temple was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644) as a Taoist temple but is now dedicated to Kun Iam. Lin Fung temple comprises of a cluster of palaces. The first is the Tianhou Palace which is the central complex, followed by The Emperor Wu Palace, Renshou Palace, Yiling Palace, Shennong Palace, Juyong Palace, and Doumu Palace. Inside the temple, there is a spacious lotus pond, which is why the temple is also known as the Temple of Lotus and has ancient trees growing in the courtyard.
Lin Fung temple once was a place where Mandarins from Guangdong province stayed when they visited Macau. Among these visitors was Lin Zexu, the most famous and respected hero of the opium war. The temple houses the Lin Zexu Memorial Hall to honour his goodness, displaying old photographs, a model of Chinese war equipment, and opium-smoking paraphernalia. Located on Avenida do Almirate Lacerda and open from 10:00 – 18:30.
The Ox Warehouse is one of the most famous art galleries in Macau. The place is home to a group of Macanese artists called 'Old Ladies’ House Art Space'. They regularly exhibit their art creations in different styles, spanning from painting, photography, sculptures, fine art prints, and more. The group also offers workshops and seminars. The themes include drawing, music, and various forms of art.
Within Ox Warehouse there is also a small library, a café, and a lovely front yard. Ox Warehouse sits opposite the Lido Cinema, at the meeting point of Avenida do Coronel Mesquita and Avenida do Almirate Lacerda. Open from 12:00 until 19:00. Closed Tuesdays.